Men's health blog

February 25, 2011


Filed under: Epilepsy — admin @ 11:44 am

If you have been out of work for some time and have difficulty finding a job you can seek help from one of the Manpower Service Commission’s disablement resettlement officers (DROs). It may be that as a first step to helping you find a job, they will suggest that you apply (with their help) for a stay at one of the MSC’s rehabilitation centres, where you will be helped to establish a working routine and given advice about future employment. The next step may be to join a Training Opportunities course which will equip you with a special skill.
While you are doing these courses you will be given a tax-free living allowance, and your National Insurance record will be kept up to date by giving a credit of contributions.
Every handicapped person has to decide whether there is any advantage in being registered as a disabled person, or whether this might actually put off a prospective employer. There are advantages in being registered as disabled, and the more severely you are handicapped, the greater these advantages are likely to be. The registered disabled person can apply for sheltered employment and assistance with taxi fares to work if they are too severely handicapped to use public transport or drive themselves, for example. Employers of over 20 people are obliged by law to employ a quota of three per cent disabled people.
The DRO can help people who are too disabled to manage an ordinary job to find a job in sheltered employment. These jobs are available either through a government-sponsored company which provides work for nearly 8,000 people, or in a workshop run by a local authority or voluntary organization. Some local authorities employ people with epilepsy to work in parks and gardens; anyone doing such a job will be paid the full rate for it.

Powered by WordPress